His Excellency Engr Oluwaseyi Makinde, the Visitor of the First Technical University, was born on 25 December 1967 in Ibadan, Oyo State, to Late Pa Olatubosun Makinde and Madam Abigail Makinde of Aigbofa Compound in Oja’ba, Ibadan.
He attended St. Michael’s Primary School, Yemetu in Ibadan and Bishop Phillips Academy, Iwo Road Ibadan. He also attended the University of Lagos, Akoka Yaba, Lagos and graduated with a B.Sc. (Hons) degree in Electrical Engineering in 1990.
He was trained in Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas in 1998; and Development of Analytical Competence at Lagos Business School (now Pan African University) in 1999. He studied Fundamentals of Crude Sampling at Jiskoot Auto Control Training Centre, Kent England in 2002, and Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA in 2005.
Professional and Business Career
H.E. Engr Oluwaseyi Makinde worked for Shell Petroleum Development Company for two years from 1990 to 1992 as a pupil engineer. Thereafter, he worked for Rebold International Limited as a Field Engineer and Assistant Manager (Eket operations) from 1992-1997 where he designed, installed, supervised and commissioned several instrumentation projects.
In 1997, he established his first business, Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited (METS), after working for five years (1992-1997) with various international oil and gas companies (IOCs), as the Engineering Manager. He is now the Group Managing Director of Makon Group of Companies.
He is a member of national and international professional bodies notably: Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Council for Regulations of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), Oil and Gas Design Engineers of Nigeria (OGDEN), International Society of Automation (ISA), Institute of Measurement and Control UK; and American Measurement Institute (AMI).
Awards and Recognition
- The Visitor, First Technical University Ibadan – May 2019
- Humanitarian Ambassador Award, Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, University of Ibadan – 2014.
- Nigerian Union of Journalists (Oyo State Council)-Laudable Contribution to Humanity Merit Award.
- National Association of Oke-Ogun Students (Ibadan)-Merit Award.
- Fiditi Grammar School (Oyo State)-Old Student Merit Award in appreciation to the commitment, dedication, and service to the association and humanity.
- Junior Chamber International (JCI) University of Calabar Chapter -Entrepreneurial Excellence Award.
- Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (Oyo State Chapter)-Gold Merit Award for immense and invaluable contribution to sports development.
- Nigerian Association of Social Workers Merit Awards (Oyo State Chapter)-Philanthropic gestures and contribution to Social Care Delivery Services.
- CCII National Merit Award.
- Maryhill Convent School, Ibadan-Academic Development Merit award
- Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (Ibadan) – awarded Seyi “Astute Politician of the Year 2018” for his resilience with which he had continued to assist the less privileged in the society.
- CCII 2018 Most Patriotic Ibadan Indigene Award