The Department of Agricultural Engineering has the historic advantage of being one of the fundamental Departments at the Technical University, Ibadan in 2017. The Department is established to adopt the technical, vocational education and training (TVET) module in order to produce self-reliant graduates who are well grounded in a broad sense with theoretical and practical aspects of Agricultural Engineering, in Universities, Industry or Private Practice. The programme is designed to develop the entrepreneurial capabilities of the students required for economic development.
The mission of the Department in pursuit of its vision is to be one of the top rated Agricultural Engineering Department in the world; to imbibe in our students the right ethics, attitude and behaviors expected of Engineers; to empower them academically and professionally for the creative and effective practice of Engineering in private, food and agro-allied industries, Government and other agencies involved in the management and regulation of agricultural, food and natural resources.
The desire of the Department of Agricultural Engineering is to create a teaching and research environment for imparting appropriate skills and knowledge in Agricultural, Food and Rural development. It involves conducting cutting edge research that will advance frontiers of knowledge; contribute a substantial proportion of innovations and provide a friendly and sustainable environment towards the development of food and agro-allied industries in Nigeria.
The objectives of the B. Eng (Hons) degree programme in Agricultural Engineering are to:
- train engineers capable of applying engineering principles to agricultural mechanization, crop and food production, preservation and storage, farm and agricultural business management, irrigation, farm structures, rural electrification, waste water and effluent management and environmental planning and management.
- train engineers for the economic selection, optimum utilization, operation, maintenance and repair of labour saving equipment that are used in agriculture and environmental management with the objective of maximizing the benefits derived from them.
- train engineers who can relate their activities to the needs of the society in general and to develop in them a sense of responsibility that is required for their professional work.
- identify the limitation of our students and to make a real effort to provide compensating measures.
- make continuing reappraisal of our curriculum to ensure its consistency with the goal of training the most productive agricultural engineers that the given parameters of time and financial outlay will allow.
The graduates can find employment in Research and Development Institutes, Educational Institutions, Production Companies, Quality Control Organizations, Marketing and Marketing Research firms or initiate Private Practice in diverse Foods and Agro-allied Industries.