The Biomedical Engineering program is designed to provide excellence in knowledge acquisition, management and usage of health diagnostic and therapeutic tools; explore the frontiers of technology and provide solutions to various problems in Biomedical Science and Engineering; provide intuitive relevant scientific and innovative focus on application of engineering principles, methodologies and techniques to the medical fields, and, combine the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to improve overall health care diagnosis and treatment.
To offer comprehensive interdisciplinary biomedical science and engineering programme that positions our graduates for health care industry.
The general objective of the programme is to produce graduates that are resourceful, creative, knowledgeable and able to perform the following functions:
- apply knowledge of Mathematics, Science, and Engineering
- design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- involve in multidisciplinary teams
- identify, formulate, and solve Biomedical Engineering problems
- understand professional and ethical responsibility
- communicate effectively in the field of biomedical engineering and allied disciplines
- understand impact of Biomedical Engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- recognize the need for and an ability to engage in lifelong learning
- understand contemporary issues
- use the techniques, skills, of modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice in medical practices.
For a well-trained and conscientious biomedical engineer, challenging and interesting job opportunities abound in Nigeria as well as overseas. This ranges from the design, development, production, operation, installation and maintenance of hospital and general instruments & equipment to management of healthcare. The time has come when the design and production of medical devices should be left to experts who have clear understanding of the physiological phenomena, the pathogenesis and patho-mechanisms of physiological presentations of diseases. The roles of genomics, bioinformatics and deep knowledge of molecular biology coupled with the contributions of other basic medical sciences cannot be over-emphasized in medical products conceptualization and actualization. Our B. Eng. programme in Biomedical Engineering provides pedestal for the aforementioned concepts. It would therefore be an additional asset to the Faculty of Engineering and the University at large to train personnel that will be employed by Hospitals, Medical equipment manufacturers, Universities, Medical Research Organizations as well as any other fields related to healthcare industry.