The Biomedical Engineering program is designed to provide excellence in knowledge acquisition, management and usage of health diagnostic and therapeutic tools; explore the frontiers of technology and provide solutions to various problems in Biomedical Science and Engineering; provide intuitive relevant scientific and innovative focus on application of engineering principles, methodologies and techniques to the medical fields, and, combine the design and problem solving skills of engineering with medical and biological sciences to improve overall health care diagnosis and treatment.
The aim of the programme is to offer comprehensive interdisciplinary biomedical science and engineering programme that positions our graduates for health-care research in equipment design, development and industry applications.
The general objective of the programme is to produce graduates that are resourceful, creative, knowledgeable, and able to perform the following functions:
- Identify, formulate, and develop Biomedical Engineering solutions to health issues locally based on the culture and civilization of the people, and apply professional and ethical milestones to design, develop, and apply such biomedical engineering technologies to health-related issues in real time.
- Design systems, components, or processes to meet desired healthcare needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and ensure their sustainability.
- Establish the impact of Biomedical Engineering solutions within global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts, using the proficiency of modern engineering tools in medical practice.
- Develop the ability to engage in lifelong learning, to keep abreast of emerging developments in the field of Biomedical Engineering, and proffer cost effective solutions to medical conditions based on needs assessment prowess.
For a well-trained and conscientious biomedical engineer, challenging and interesting job opportunities abound in Nigeria as well as overseas. However, at First Technical University, Ibadan (Tech-U), the programme is set to produce experts in Biomedical Engineering profession who are:
- Practitioners with sufficient proficiency in design, development, installation, operation and maintenance of hospital and general instruments & equipment for management of healthcare.
- Experts with clear understanding of the physiological phenomena; the pathogenesis, patho-chemistry, and patho-mechanisms of physiological presentations of diseases who will apply such knowledge to therapeutic treatment of neuronal diseases of various origins.
- Research and development consultants with expertise in areas like genomics, bioinformatics and deep knowledge of molecular biology who will provide professional guide for medical devices suppliers and manufacturers.
- Entrepreneurs in Biomedical Engineering related fields of practice.
- Academics who are involved in both basic and advanced training of Biomedical Engineers as Faculty members in various Universities and Research Institutes across the globe.