Electrical and Electronics Engineers are involved in channeling natural resources into various end-uses such as heating, lighting, home appliances, consumer products, computing, sensing, control, and communication. They are also concerned with the processes of generation, transmission, transformation, control, and utilization of electrical energy, signals or information. In First Technical University Ibadan, the programme is designed in such a way as to produce graduates that can be more readily absorbed into the various areas of the rapidly developing field of Electrical and Electronic Engineering by exposing students to both basic and applied courses as well as laboratory and industrial training to enable them satisfy the manpower needs of the public and industrial sectors of the Nigerian economy. Our graduates are expected to be able to design and supervise Engineering projects and constructions, develop new products and techniques as well as maintain Engineering Units. This programme also offer sufficient depth to enable the promising graduates to undertake postgraduate work in same or related disciplines and also becoming a successful entrepreneur.
The programme is organized such that basic and professional training in Communication Engineering, Control and Instrumentation Engineering, Electrical Machines and Power Engineering, Electronic Materials and Devices Technology fields of Electrical and Electronic Engineering are considered within the five years of the programme.
The aim of the programme is to religiously produce a total graduate who is not desperate on getting employed but also be an employer of labour and who can also practice as a certified Electrical and Electronic Engineer anywhere in the world with specialized techno-entrepreneurial skills acquired while in the programme.
The objectives of the programme include but not limited to;
- putting in place a curriculum of Electrical and Electronics Engineering programmes that covers broad and dynamic engineering principles, working knowledge of entrepreneurial, marketing, and management principles;
- making adequate provision for extensive and appropriate laboratory experiments in Electrical and Electronics Engineering programmes in order to facilitate acquisition of practical experience;
- training the students in design, implementation, and maintenance of Electrical and Electronics Engineering programmes systems; and
- preparing them to pursue advanced studies at post graduate level in Electrical and Electronics Engineering or other relevant engineering and management
Graduate of the programme should be able to professionally involve in Electrical and Electronics equipment manufacture, installations and maintenance, power generation, transmission and distribution either as self-employed engineer or as an employee in private or public sector of the economy.
In addition to the above, the graduate in Electrical and Electronic Engineering should be able to:
- Design electrical and electronic engineering projects and supervise their implementation.
- Design and implement electrical and electronic engineering components, machines, Equipment and engineering
- Design and develop new electrical and electronic engineering products and production techniques in industries.
- install and maintain complex electrical and electronic engineering systems for optimal performance in our
- Adapt and adopt exogenous technology in order to solve local electrical and electronic engineering
- Be able to exercise original thought, have good professional judgment and be able to take responsibility for the execution of electrical and electronic engineering tasks.
- Be able to manage people, fund, materials and electrical and electronic engineering equipment
- Improve on indigenous technology for deployment to the solution of local electrical and electronic engineering problems.