Aims and Objectives
To offer a comprehensive interdisciplinary biomedical science and engineering programme that positions our graduates for healthcare industry.
- To design engineering projects and supervise their implementation.
- To design and implement bioengineering components, machines, equipment and systems for healthcare industry.
- To design and develop innovative products and production techniques for healthcare industry.
- To install and maintain complex biomedical engineering systems so that they can perform optimally in our environment.
- To adapt and adopt exogenous technology in order to solve local biomedical engineering problems.
- To be able to exercise original thought, have good professional judgment and be able to take responsibility for the direction of important tasks.
- To be able to manage people, fund, materials and equipment.
- To improve on indigenous technology to enhance local problem solving capability.
For a well-trained and conscientious biomedical engineer, challenging and interesting job opportunities abound in Nigeria as well as overseas. This ranges from the design, development, production, operation, installation and maintenance of hospital and general instruments and equipment to management of healthcare. The time has come when the design and production of medical devices should be left to experts who have clear understanding of the physiological phenomena, the pathogenesis and pathomechanisms of physiological presentations of diseases. The roles of genomics, bioinformatics and deep knowledge of molecular biology coupled with the contributions of other basic medical sciences cannot be over-emphasized in medical products conceptualization and actualization. The B.Eng. programme in Biomedical Engineering would provide the pedestal for the aforementioned concept. It would therefore be an additional asset to the College of Medicine and the University at large to train personnel that will be employed by Hospitals, Medical equipment manufacturers, Universities, Medical Research Organizations as well as any other fields as may be applicable to healthcare industry.