Mechatronics engineering is a multi disciplinary segment of the engineering field, combining various principles of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, computer engineering, and control engineering,in creating more economic, reliable, and simplified systems. It is simply, an integration of electronic intelligence into mechanical systems.It thus requires the study and application of principles of mechanics, electronics, control, microprocessors, software/information engineering and materials and their effective integration, leading to the design of sensor-based, computer controlled, intelligent mechanical products and systems.Examples of mechatronic devices are CNC machines, robotic manipulators, aircraft systems, autonomous vehicles, cameras, video recorders, etc.
Philosophy of the Programme
The philosophy of the programme is to produce graduates that combine sound theoretical knowledge with rich practical skills, capable of enabling them to embark on competitive advanced research globally, take up challenging positions in relevant industries and public services, and to reach a level of self-reliance, particularly in the manufacturing, automotive, and medical industries.
Mechatronics graduates have a wide range of career options. Mechatronics engineers are fitted for employment in all sectors of manufacturing, electrical and electronics industry – from product design, manufacturing, system design, equipment and system control, robotics, automation, computer technology, quality control, industrial management, and marketing mechatronics products and services. Mechatronics engineers also design safety procedures for hazardous activities and research the feasibility, cost and relative pros and cons of the equipment they develop.
A mechatronics engineer is therefore employable as a systems engineer, electro-mechanical engineer, mechanical design engineer, robotics engineer, software programmer, project engineer, controls engineer, mechanical modeler, or a simulation engineer.
Specifically, the programme will empower graduates to provide services and research in:
- Automotive electronics
- Production, operation and automatic control of ground and aerial vehicles.
- Deployment of automation and control systems for various industrial processes.
- Development of micro-controller based embedded systems.
- Design of electrical machines and the development of guidance and control systems for unmanned intelligent underwater.
- Integration of renewable energy sources and the design of the associated power conversion systems.
- Trans-cultural problem-solving activities, in Anglophone, Francophone and Asian countries.
- Creating mechatronics-related spin-off businesses.