Philosophy of the Degree Programme
Software Engineering (SE) is the use of engineering concepts and methodologies to address and program complex and large-scale information systems in this information age. These complex and large-scale information systems cut across human endeavours such as communication, manufacturing processes, business strategies, to mention a few. The emphasis of the BSc/B. Tech. program in SE is to empower the students with the competence of using engineering concepts and methodologies to address the present day large-scale industrial applications which is required for human capacity building in Nigeria presently. The program provides state-of-art facilities; theories and world-class SE practice for students to have competitive edge in the global labour market.
The graduates of this curriculum are expected to have acquire sufficient knowledge in SE to develop innovative software that imbibe standard practice which is can lead to self-employment and consequently employer of labour. Also, they are expected to solution providers locally and in international community.
The B.Sc. degree programme in Software Engineering is designed to provide students with the basic foundation, broad and sound mathematical knowledge and practical skills as demonstrated in well packaged courses oriented towards national development.
PHILOSOPHY, AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE DEGREE PROGRAMME
Some of the aims and objectives of the programmes include to:
- Instill in students a sense of enthusiasm for Software Engineering, an appreciation of its application in different areas and to involve them in an intellectually stimulating and satisfying experience of learning and studying.
- Provide students with a broad and balanced foundation in knowledge and practical skills in Software Engineering to solve emerging challenges in private and public sectors.
- Develop in students the ability to apply their knowledge and skills to the solution of theoretical and practical problems in Software Engineering.
- Develop in students, through an education in Mathematical Sciences, a range of transferable skills of value in mathematical related and non-mathematical related employment.
- Provide students with sufficient knowledge and skills base from which they can proceed to further studies in specialized areas of Software Engineering or multi-disciplinary areas involving Software Engineering.
- Generate in students an appreciation of the importance of Software Engineering in an industrial, economic, environmental and social context.
- Empower the students with sufficient and wide-range theoretical and technical knowledge that can tackle any form of problem in SE.
- Inculcate developmental and professional skill in the students so that a wide-range of SE tools can be used to develop robust and cost-effective software across human endeavour.
- Instil sound practical and theoretical principles in the students so that they will be well grounded in SE to able to teach others and be employable in public and private sector of the economy.